Thursday, August 3, 2006

Not so new New York

I actually turned 23 this past 27th instead of 22 like I miscalculated hehe. I can't believe it's been a week now but it has been. It was nice. Definitely a complete turn around from my birthday last year which sucked, no other way to put it. But then when I took a walk and got to think about it, that the was the first time that I didn't have a family around EVER, not even a single one of them. So much has changed in one year, new home, new job (sort of), new environment, everything just completely different. As you can tell, I do reminisce quite a lot. I like that word, reminisce, I oughta be the reminisce man ala da Vinci the renaissance man, except all I do is think and not actually make or produce things.

I spent my birthday sleeping since I had to work that evening before I get to have my 3 days off. There's this policy where we couldn't be off for more than 72 hrs so didn't get my free pass yet. I got off work at 0300 Friday morning, but didn't leave my house 'til about 0600 to make my drive to New York. Figured I'd take a little trip instead of just buying something such as a computer like I was considering. I guess I don't wanna look back later and when I think of what I did for my 23rd, all I can say I did was I bought a computer and played with it all day. Great! Experiences are nicer since you always (well most of the time), you can try to relive that moment, and remember the way you felt, the joy of being alive, or being surrounded by people you love or care about (both old, or new in some cases). So yea, made the 6-hour drive to VA, dozing off for a sec on the road (not a good thing), but made it there fine. Excited, and nervous since I'm gonna have to figure out how the subway system worked. Arrived in New York 90 mins later after parking back in Jersey and catching the train. I have this thing where I think everything will work out as planned, but it's not often the case. I got to the Hamilton Station, where I intended to park and ride, and come to find out that ALL the parking spots were taken. Hmm, right on a working day, smart move Dee. So I had to drive around, and parking by a restaurant and asking a man how to get to the Trenton station. Finally made my way to Trenton, parked, paid for two nights of parking, and hopped on the Northeast Corridor Line. Naks, I feel like a veteran hehe. Well not after going to the wrong line, and having to cross the street to get to where I needed to go. Thank goodness for angels dressed in the form of humans.

One of them took shape in a blogger named Jon. I do not know what I would have done without his expertise in just about anything New York. Gaaaahhh! was all I could think of when I imagined getting around the subway, but he walked me through it and made sure I got on the right line. I looked a bit touristy trying to figure out how to get a ticket that I ended up chitchatting with a lady, telling me how the system worked, directions to where I was going, etc etc That was before she asked me if I'm mixed Filipino. I was a bit stunned that she guessed, so I asked if it was because of the way I talked. She said no, It just looked like you're mixed with it Don't you realize? I said Not really and just smiled, batting my eyes at her.

I reserved a bed at a hostel so made my way there, after trying to figure out where it was located. I walked one block down, then went back the other direction after I realized how the system works. If the street number goes up, go the other way if you need to get to a lower street number. The info was a bit misleading since it said they're just a block away from the subway, but in actuality it was more like 3 blocks down, 2 to the left. It was alright, if you just need somewhere to sleep in, it's not too bad for the price. I thought I was gonna have the room all to myself, since it was all just me when I got up there. Took off my pants and laid down since my eyes just wanted to close since I've been up for 24 hrs by the time I arrived. Fighting it off though since I'll spoil my trip if I end up sleeping during the day. I was laying down, when I heard someone trying to enter the room. Door unlocked, two guys walked in that's gonna be staying in the same room which is set up for six people. Kinda weird, trying to put on shorts, and shaking hands and introducing yourself to the newcomers. Didn't talk to them much after that since my brain wasn't functioning right until after I ended up napping. Forced myself to get up, and wandered around Union Square for a bit, trying to find Yoshinoya which I come to find out was 28 blocks from where I was. I got to witness a group performing Capoeira as well, which I found really intriguing. Just listening to the beat made me wanna up and move up there, the vibe was just really great. All the audience just encircling them, clapping along to the beat of the drums. Funny thing I found too, was I looking around and some of the faces looked familiar. I can't explain how and where but it felt like I've seen a bunch of them before. I think I stood there close to an hour just watching the performance and had this good feeling inside, just being there at the moment and experiencing something new.

Well, come Saturday I met up with Jon around noon at Union Square. I was there the previous night, just to be sure I'd know where I needed to be and not be late. We did a bit of walking, wait I take that back, it was a LOT of walking but it was nice. We went to different neighborhoods, and he explained what makes one different from another. Downtown, SoHo, Chinatown, The Village, etc. I was really giddy and in awe just listening to him. The man sure loves his city. We went to a ramen place for lunch (eventhough it was hot) and they actually have Calpis. Umm, Calpico is what it's called outside Japan. I used to get looks when I told my coworkers what I was drinking. Here's a picture, but don't let the name fool ya. It doesn't taste like pis (not that I'd know) but it is goooood. I can send ya one if you wanna try hehe We also stopped by to the business district, and that was a nice touch that between all the high-rising buildings is the St Patrick's Cathedral. I've never gone to a cathedral before, so I was just in awe once again. (Yea, I get amazed easily) I just felt at ease just walking inside it. After a stop at H&M which was our main reason heading midtown, I didn't buy anything though since there's too much stuff that I got overwhelmed. My indecisiveness kicks in and I never know what to get.

We then went back to The Village and had a meal at a yakitori (barbecue) restaurant Yakitori Taisho. It is sooo good, and walking in, you'll be transported to Japan. That's what it really felt like, took me right back to the streets of Japan. It just had a nice atmosphere to it. I about cried but I didn't since I'm out in public. We had yakitori obviously, okonomiyaki (japanese pizza) and had Asahi cold beer (which I never had until that evening). Goood times, good times. On our way to meet Jon's blogger friends, we stopped by the Japanese grocery so I can pick up some Calpis. I got two bottles of the concentrated ones. I only had a messenger bag so that's where I put them in, though a backpack probably would have felt lighter carrying them around.

We then met up with his blogger friends, Freddie and Just a Girl, with her friend Naz. I normally would not have gone, but I'm trying to come out of the shell more. I'm cool with meeting new people, but if it's meeting their friends, bf's/gf's or whatever, I freak out. Oh my god, they might not like me. Gosh, I'm gonna bore these people is what comes to mind. But I fought it, and ended up having a good time. Jon didn't go to the Roxy with us, since he was tired, and I got close to just going back to the hostel and getting some rest for the next day. But figured, what the heck, I can sleep when I get back to VA which I sure did. Twelve hours straight. It was fun. Just dancing along, having a few drinks but I think I came to the realization I might not be a big fan of clubs after all. Sure, I do like to dance but I prefer just 'avin a drink or two with friends, just talking about what random things that come to mind. Just a girl suuure can dance, and both her and Naz is pretty. There were gay? boys chatting 'em up and everything which I found quite funny.

Come 0330, we made our way back to own's haven to get rested for Sunday. They had flights to catch, whilst I had to drive home. I had a good time overall, and the trip is sure worth it.

Yours with a happy face

No comments:

Post a Comment