Saturday, July 22, 2006

Close to Heaven II

I don't remember much of what else happened that Friday evening. Come Saturday, one of my friends Avon came out to see us. She's one of my dearest friends since we go way back. I've known her since I was 7, since we went to the same elementary school and were in the same class for the six years we spent there. I actually had a crush on her the first three years, though the closest I got was to kiss her on the hand when we were riding the school bus. We really didn't become too close until we were in the 6th grade (this is what they told me), along with two other folks Victor and Liezel. Here's the four of us seven years ago a before I left for the U.S. She's in the yellow t-shirt, with me standing next to her hahaha. It was certainly nice to see her again. Oh god, I just remembered how we used to call ourselves Spicer's Company. I'm not gonna say who it was after, even if you ask, I will not tell you what you want, what you really really want. We caught about what each other has been up to, she being with like her sixth or seventh gf, and me nothing; laughing about the younger days; and telling me what the other two has been up to. I do miss all four. We had all these plans, renting a place and living together, have fun just singing and dancing, those kind of things. Liezel and Avon get their girly moments singing along to the Spice Girls and dancing to it as well. Errm, I can say I have a knack for learning choreographies from music videos and so I teach them the steps when we used to get together after school or during the weekend.

So going back.. Avon and I were at the funeral home though, so I excused us from the family and told them we're gonna go up in the hotel room so I can get showered. I think I might have showered earlier that day, but it was soooo hot and humid. We went up to the room, and ended up staying there for a while, watching some Spongebob episodes and talking some more. Only time I took a shower was when my cousin Haunani came to check on us, since I told the family I won't be gone for long. After some coaxing, I got Avon to converse with my cousin eventhough she was a bit shy. My cousin only spoke English so yea, Avon had no choice really hehe They got along pretty well though so that's a good thing. One of my uncles thought that Avon was my girlfriend which was really funny. Well maybe, the baggy clothes gave it away but still. My mom's side of the family knows better hehe, even my grandma. When my uncle made that comment, my grandma said softly to my cousin there's nothing that will happen between those two, she's a tomboy and Dee's a billyboy (that's my nickname to the family, dee of course not billyboy!!)

We made our way back to the funeral home which was just across the street. Some of the old neighbors were there too so it was really nice. You changed so much you look so different you're so manly now is pretty much what I heard coming across them. And the questions are you married yet? got any kids? do you have a girlfriend how many I just kept on smiling and say naw, I'm too young or no not at the moment.. though thinking and never will. A lot of them are surprised how I turned out. Umm thing is I used to be really feminine when I was kid now that I think about it. I never thought much of it, but I guess people around me were otherwise. Some would comment when I had my backs on them, or when they thought they couldn't hear me Buti hindi bumigay ( Wowww, I'm glad he didn't go gay all the way) I'm not sure how to say this in English. I really didn't find those questions too personal or maybe that's just me, but my cousin got aggravated getting asked those the majority of the trip. She felt a bit out of place too (she confided) since she really can't speak Tagalog. She was getting bored too, so I asked her if she'd wanna go somewhere like the mall or something. She did, so after getting permission from my mom, and the aunts we were able to go.

There was a shopping center Ayala, not too far from where we were. It was me, my cousin Haunani and Avon that went. We just walked around Greenbelt which is an outdoor mall, and looked at some of the shops. They have all these restaurants as well, but we, well more like I decided that we'll go to a Japanese restaurant to try it out. They both had dinner back at the home, so really didn't wanna get a heavy meal. I ordered some sashimi for them, but they really didn't eat it. I had my tempura and sushi so I was all set. During the course of the meal, we got to talking about this one guy I briefly dated when I visited back in 2004. Haunani was kinda curious about him too, since she thought he was cute. To do a little test, Avon texted him and asked if he remembers a guy named Kris
Which Chris? I know a couple
You met him back in '04
Oh the mixed black
Yea him
Is he here? Where is he?
Close to where you guys met, he's in front of me having dinner
He said he'll be heading out then, to come see. I was kinda laughing but got nervous when Avon said that he would actually come. Oh man, you're an idiot What am I gonna do now!? Just talk to him my cousin said What am I gonna say!!? You'll figure it out I was really nervous, that I laid down on the bench around this one fountain with my head on my cousin's lap trying to duck so Gary won't spot me. He eventually showed and so, shook hands, then sat down and had a bit of a talk. The usual hey, how have you been? at the beginning. After a while we actually discussed about what happened between us.
You see, I met him when I was visiting back in '04. We only got to see each other twice however. First, was when we had coffee where I actually met him for the first time, then second was when he joined me and my friends for dinner on my birthday. After that dinner on my birthday, we all five of us walked around and just made the time pass, talking, goofing off and taking pictures. While it was just us two, he mentioned something about really liking me a lot, perhaps even being in love, and that he thinks I'm the one. I told myself to not expect anything out of this really since I'm just on a holiday. I'll admit, I liked the feeling of liking someone and them liking me back. I just didn't think anything would come out of it really since what, I've only met him one time prior to that, and since I don't even live in the same country, let alone.

I think he was either 24 or 25 at that time, and was a teacher at a technical college. I thought he was cute too hehe, especially on the one who sent me the first time we spoke (which he ended up giving me a laminated copy of, and I still keep to this day) I was just nodding along, since I'm not gonna confess that I feel the same way when I don't. The big mistake I did though was promising that I would keep in contact when I knew that I wouldn't. He gave me his phone number, and three e-mail address just to be sure it'll get through if I did e-mail. I didn't throw it away, or anything. It's still in my little notebook but I just didn't do anything with it. I considered getting in contact but then a few months have passed already, so I thought what's the use, you've let months pass already without getting in contact with the guy. I never contacted him again, until now. I was an ass for doing that, and I knew what I did was wrong.

He pretty much asked me things that I knew he would. Why did you that, how come you never got in touch like you promised. All I can say was you know, I'm not sure why either, I'm really sorry for what I did. That was a messed up thing to do, and I apologize. He said it was alright, you were young, probably just confused I did love you, you know. I can't say yep, sure did. I'd feel arrogant saying that, so did what I do best and just smiled sheepishly at him. He ended up leaving few minutes after since him and his friend were gonna go out clubbing. Wished each other the best, and a meeting of just the two us again came up briefly. It never materialized but then, it was probably better not to after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment