Tuesday, May 8, 2007

North Caroliiiina

Well, the plan for NYC was scratched after we went out Friday night and didn't get home 'til 3. I ended up grabbing a bite with some guy Friday evening out in the U Street area of DC. A friend I met recently - S lives a few blocks down so I called him and checked what he was doing. He said he was getting ready to go to bed but his friend called and wanted him to go out. He was having second thoughts about it but when we spoke and he found out I was in the area, he just went ahead and got ready.


While I was having dinner with said guy, there's actually a voicemail that came in from an old, old friend of mine. We were classmates in elementary back in the Philippines, and I actually got a hold of him when I first moved here. However, after I left Cali and moved to FL, we lost touch. I've tried calling the number that I had, but it was disconnected. I went on a spy mode and looked up their area with the said friend's last name, and I think I actually called each number and left a voicemail explaining to them who I was, and why I was calling. Months passed and last Friday, my friend Billy did call me back (Screw the B- thing) He asked how I found his number so I explained it to him. It's real easy nowadays to find people's info, well maybe that's the stalker side kicking in. I'm just good like that hehe.



It was really good catching up with him after all these years, though he's forgotten a lot of folks from our school days. He even called me by the wrong name, some folks called me by my middle name, Dedrick and on his voicemail, he asked for a Patrick. I go by my first name now, so had to tell him that when he asked why I changed my name. It was great, it was still a surprise getting to talk to him. I think I kept saying " can't believe I'm talking to you!" throughout our conversation. We've talked about meeting but he's in Cali while I'm in DC so will see how that'll pan out. I said we can meet halfway jokingly, and he agreed so guess we'll find out.

After the call, I just stood by a corner waiting for my friend S- to come. We went to this bar called Halo which was alright. We just stayed there for a little bit, leaving after having just one drink. It's funny how like everybody knew him, but then he's lived here for five years now and I on the otherhand, five months. It was fun still though, I just let him be a butterfly and I kinda just leaned back against the counter watching people and the videos playing. I got to talk to some folks maybe 30 mins or so after being there. They were doing shots and I got pulled in to do one. I chatted with them with a bit. And towards the end, got into a conversation with one guy P- for a little bit. 'twas funny that when S- joined the conversation, it kinda went to a halt and he was saying how he's gonna let me and P- get back to enjoying our talk. Just asked mostly things you'd ask someone you just met, where are they from, what do they do ie. student/job, etc. I think he has a bf though, well he said he did which means he probably does. Funny how as we were going our own ways, I ended up P-'s bf's work number instead of his. Have yet to call them though.


I crashed at S- place and slept in hence reason why the trip to NYC was cancelled. We were gonna catch the bus around noon and just spend the night there, and go right back around. I left his place around 1, calling my dad on my way to the car since he had a missed call the previous evening. He was checking if I was coming since the rest of the cousins were asking about me. I said I wasn't sure since that was a 6-hr drive ya know. But a bit after that, I called him back and told him I'll make my way out, it's family. I didn't get to leave the house 'til a few hours since I had lunch first, and had to get packed and everything.


It was a good stay overall. Attending my cousin's graduation, just getting to see some of the family I've never met, like the aunt I've talked about in some old posts. It felt like a family reunion since a bunch made their way to Charlotte, but then most of them live in Atlanta so it's not too far. The farthest is my dad in California, and an Aunt in Rochester, then me in DC. It was really exciting, seeing my cousin graduate. I got to talking with one cousin about going to school and it made me want to go. I'll be applying to some schools, more than likely in Florida, and try to get in for the Spring term. Military kinda felt like being in college, but of course, it's still not the same since I'm earning something different this time around. With the mil, I got to meet people from all walks of life and some of the things I went through, it made me into a better person ( I certainly hope so!) With school, it'll be the same but along with a diploma.


I might, might not write more but wanted to get this out today at least, and share a pic or two to y'all. The first one is with all the cousins, and the second is the majority of the family that came, minus the graduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment