Monday, October 23, 2006

Strangers with me

Well the 'war game' ended right on Midnight Thursday so got to go home right after coming back for lunch. We worked twelve hours shifts this week, and were given two hour lunches so it wasn't too bad. The first night was kinda funny how we didn't have any tables, chairs or anything. So we had to sit on the ground struggling to stay awake. We just had 'simulated' chairs, while I had a simulated bed since I was sprawled out on the grass. We were inside a tent though so it helped keep the breeze out since it got really cold.

I brought in my laptop the second night so that helped to pass time. There would be influx of people around 4-7 pm which is usually when shift change happens. Then die down for a bit, then some come in around midnight. It's around this time that the 'attacks' usually happen. Since I'm a non player (doesn't participate in the exercise), I don't need to do anything but for those who are, they had to put on their gas mask and gloves and hide (usually under a desk if you're in the office or under a roof/concrete (if you're outdoors). During that time, you'll have to stay in the same spot and not do anything. Not even walk around the office like everything was fine. You've been attacked, take cover!! I remember how at my old base that we usually end up napping during these times. The attack mode would last a few hours at times, and napping's the most that we could do, for the night shifters.

It wasn't bad at all, eventhough it felt like temping. I had to work with people I didn't know, so crash course in getting to know them and find things to talk about. Surprisingly it was fun though I was quiet at first but broke out of the shell eventually. I had to work with four other people, so had to take it slow though and talk to only one of them at first. I'm not a big fan of group conversations where it's like playing ping pong, somebody picking right up where another one left off. I got a bit annoyed since one kid kept calling me out when I was quiet or kinda keeping to myself. Why are you quiet (last name!?) What are you doing __!? What's that you're reading ?! What are you thinking!? Gah, leave me alone but at the same time glad he's asking me. Yea, I can be a weirdo. He was the one who loved Arrested Development and Strangers with Candy though so he earned bonus points for that. That was all I had on my laptop, well Spongebob too. So it's not really something "guys" would wanna watch. During the attacks, since the tent was a transition point, some people opted to hang around instead of donning on their mask. Pretty much all of them ended up liking the show, though the first thing out of their mouths is "God!! Her face!!" Even people who were sitting behind the laptop ended up moving their chairs to see what Jerril was all about (smiles).

I stayed up 'til about 5 a.m. just talking to my cousin after getting home four and a half hours prior. I don't even remember what we talk about sometimes. Just different things, what we think about our situation, things that happened, family, relationships, just about anything really. Some people find our relationship weird but I can say she's a friend of mine too. We bonded after I stayed with them for two years. Then after me joining the military, her following suit about a year and a half later. Her job sucked though so feel bad for her but all I can tell her it'll be all over in the morning. Like Iyanla said, even if that morning lasts for months or even years, things eventually get better. At one point though, I put a damp on our relationship when she was with me in Japan. She ended up "vacationing" for three months. So it's us two, in a 10x1 5 room. It drove me nuts after a while. And I just go silent and not speak to her in that little space we are in. After she left, I regretted doing that to her. That was the same thing that about killed me when her dad did that, and there I was doing the same thing that I told myself I would never do to people. I apologized over it, and we're okay now. When my emotions get the best of me though, I still cry about the past and the things I did and didn't do. I've asked for forgiveness, and it's up to the people I've made amends to whether to accept it or reject it. I can only move on.

It was a good weekend though. That Thursday evening, I've also been texting this one girl Rav-. We've been e-mailing each other couple of weeks prior when she was still in Washington, before she made the move here to the area to be with her boyfriend. That's lovely, moving cross country to be with the one you love (smiles)
Well we kinda got to know each other after she e-mailed about the mattress I was selling. With my impending move (which I thought was gonnabe Florida), I was gonna get rid of my furnitures and just keep the essential things. It's silly how sometimes I get the idea of trying to get it down to a suitcase worth, and have a new beginning. A suitcase is all I had when I moved to the U.S. and sometimes when I look around, I wonder in amazement how I've accumulated all these things. Of course, I'm thankful though I try not to get attached to them. Most of the things we 'think' we need, we really don't. Everything that's important is kept in a place that no one else can take away from you.

Oh dear. Come Friday, I woke up around noon and got a phone call from my manager asking why I didn't come in to work that morning. He heard that it ENDEX (exercise ended) around midnight, and so I should have gone to work like some folks that he knew. Explained to him that even though it ended 12 am, I can't expect to just go home and fall right to sleep and wake up the next day to work a regular shift. All I can say is sorry since it's a no-win situation. He's higher ranking than I am, and that's pretty much all that matters with my current field of work. He's a good guy otherwise, though guess he get stressed out with the way things go at work. So after that, I kinda was cursing the mil. I had to get ready though since I was meeting Rav- later on that afternoon. For the life of me, I was regretting asking her to hang out. This is someone I've never met and wasn't even sure if we had anything in common. But hey, only one way to find out right? She's new here, so I thought I'd show her around or something with whatever knowledge I have of the area. And it went well! We hang out for about four hours (not that I'm keeping track of time). Just walked around the mall, then took her with me to the Apple store to get a video iPod since my older one died (it started working the day after, but M-'s buying it now so it's all good) I asked her if I should get warranty, and she looked at me like I was crazy. Ah yea, you definitely would want that was what she told me. So off to the cashier I went, and paid it off. Reminding him during that I get a discount since I'm affilated with so and so.... After that, we made our way out to the parking lot. But that was before we passed by a father and son as we neared the exit.

I'd say Filipino since there's tons in this area because of the naval base. The dad had his son sitting on his shoulder, the kid probably around 3 or 4 yrs old. The kid looked at me and right when we met each other's gaze, the first thing out of his mouth was "What's up Dawg!?" It was soo adorable, him covering his mouth right after he said it. All three of us adults just busted out laughing since that just came out of nowhere. That made me glad I went to hang with Rav- since none of this would have happened if I wasn't with her. After leaving the mall, drove her around Downtown Norfolk, then took her to Ghent (a neighborhood I've come to love). They have these cafes and restaurants around the neighborhood, though what got me was the Naro Cinema. One of those theaters that show independent films and subtitled movies. Yay. It was where I got to see Strangers With Candy, and Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont. Then in the upcoming weekend, Rocky Horror Picture Show? Ra- told me that I should go after I let her in to the fact I've never watched the movie. We were trying to find in the pamphlet as to when they'll show it, though we felt silly looking up and saw in bold black letters in front of us the days it'll be playing. We walked around the neighborhood for a bit, checking out crafts store where you get to paint your own ceramic, and a store that had home decors, and random knick knacks. After that, we left and headed back to the mall where we met up. Stood around the parking lot just talking, her telling me what happened to their truck that got messed up by a pole. A good time was had by both of us, and I felt good when she said that she's glad to have made a friend on her own, and not through her boyfriend. I raq! Hehe

Ra- drove off and inside the mall I went and phoned M- so I can see him....

No comments:

Post a Comment