Wednesday, November 1, 2006

Halloween

I've never actually don a custome for Halloween. It's just something that I wasn't ac-custome-d to. Philippines, among other countries, do it differently and instead of throwing parties or going trick or treating, it's a day where they honor the dead. With it being a Spanish colony for over 300 years, it's adopted a lot of culture and traditions with All Saint's Day being one of them, Araw ng mga Patay (Day of the dead). It's pretty much a holiday where people get time off from school/work so that they can go back to their hometowns to visit the family graves. It was always nice though, seeing people gathered by their family tombstones, taking times from their schedule to get together with the rest of the living. Light up some candles, saying a prayer, then just hang around the cemetery until the wee hours of the day, or even night. Eventhough it's a solemn occassion, it was enjoyable since it was a time of reminiscing and listening to stories and anecdotes. In my teenage years, I'd visit with the family usually but come night time, it's off with friends I go to walk around the cemetery. People-watching, telling ghost stories, or even looking at the mausoleums. The cemetery was walking distance from where I lived, and it actually was right behind my old elementary school. I remember getting freaked out with the thought of all the dead becoming undead and taking over our town. I'd scheme plans in my head on ways to try to escape, or defeat them. Ah, if only I had superpowers.

This year, I really wasn't planning on dressing up since with Halloween being a workday, figured I'll just stay in and watch a movie or something. I didn't even buy candies for the kids. I was just going to not answer the door if they do come by. Sometime during the day, my friend MJ e-mailed and asked me what I was gonna be doing for the evening. I told her I wasn't sure yet even if I meant to not do anything. She texted a few more times, and I kinda got to thinking of not wanting to be alone that evening since I'm sure people are going to some party or something. I just enjoy spending my workdays pretty quiet. Before, I won't even hang out with friends during the week since it felt like it was taking away from "me time." I had a lot of those in Japan, maybe a little too much, but at that point in my life, it was what I needed to help me make sense of everything that's happened to me. Trying to figure out the why's and why not's, wondering about the what if's, thinking of the if only's.

Anyway, I bought a shag wig few days ago, and some devil accessories, just to have something to fall back on. I've always wondered how I'd look if I had straight hair so halloween was a good excuse to buy one. The first time I tried it on, it looked like I was a cave man. Maybe I just wasn't used to having straight hair so it was a bit of a shock. I mentioned to MJ that I have the wig, and she told me I should bring it down. When we were on the phone, the idea of me wearing it on my drive to VA Beach which is about 30 mins away, popped up and so we agreed to a deal. I'd wear it through the whole drive, and once I arrive, she will buy me a subway sandwich.. Eat Fresh! Yea, guess I'm easy huh :P Eventhough there was no way for her of knowing I wore it one day, we had an agreement and so I put it on. It grew on me during that period, that even when we had to go by a store, and go by Subway to get my sandwich, I kept it on.

I got to meet her boyfriend sometime in the evening while I hang out their place for a while, debating whether I'll come with them to the club. There's a bar that'll have a Halloween event. I ended up forcing myself to go, reasoning that this only happens once a year and shouldn't be KJ (kill joy - term used for a person who tries to ruin the fun times, or be negative = Debbie Downer in a sense). I didn't have a custome so MJ had me come with her bf to the mall to pick out a custome the last minute. At the mall, all I kept thinking was how too much work it'll be getting donned up. I had some black boots on, and a black/white/gray striped socks, and the matching outfit to it was a pilgrim's. Yep, I dressed up as a pilgrim on my first Halloween. MJ and her bf were the vampire/devil duo, then you had me. She took some pictures, and I might post a pic with me in pilgrim get up. It got me thinking of Pilgrims, and Indians and all I can think of was Jerri Blank ("Protect me Satan!") You'll have to watch the show to see what I'm talking about. We had a good time, there were more drag performers. The one I mentioned in the last post was there too, thank goodness I had to use the restroom when she came on stage. There were some really nice customes, and for the contest they had, the first prize went to the One Nightstand. It was awesome! This one lady had a nightstand on, and it had a lamp (with a bra slung over it), pack of cigarettes, one opened, then some unused condoms, and lube. It was hilarious. I was rooting for her too. It was funny since she can't see out of it, so the lady had to be directed by the others on where to go, and how many steps to take front or back for the judging.

I didn't get home 'til 2 am, that is after stopping by the car wash, filling my tank and grabbing JR bacon cheeseburgers yum yum. I had to get up at 5 am, so I was worried I might not wake up, set up about 7 things that'll go off when I needed to wake up. It worked! Though the bed's been calling me now to make up some sleep.

Aside from that, had a good day at work. Just sitting there, and bs-ing at times with people when the phones weren't ringing. I'm gonna miss these folks. Called my dad up too since he had back surgery done earlier today. I kinda felt bad, and wished I could have been there with them. I didn't know what he was talking about when he kept asking me what time I was coming by. I was like huh!?, what!? then Ohhhh when I realized what he meant. We just spoke for a little bit since he was still drugged up, and his food came in when we were on the phone as well. It was a nice talk though, he was teasing me a bit about wanting to live in a city, keeping track of football games (yeah right!), and whether my "girl" ever cooks for me. He asked me what I had for dinner and told him it was left over spaghetti so he commented as to shouldn't be my girl cooking. I just laughed it off since that's all I can do really. I don't confirm, but I don't deny either. I'm gonna get to see them soon though. I'm visiting Nor Cal for Thanksgiving since doubt I'll be home for christmas...... if only in my dreams.

Started corresponding with Daniel again so I'm glad about that too. I don't feel the same way as I used to, but I can't help not to think how he's doing sometimes. It was around this time last year that we chatted constantly, which led to us meeting six weeks later. Can't help to smile since that was unexpected.

M- might be out of the picture. Just something that transpired over the past weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment