Monday, May 1, 2006

New York Bzzzzzz

Ah New York New York. It's been a week now since I left and came back. This has been my fourth night back to work and finally write something. I have no idea how I've sat idle for twelve hours everytime and manage not to do anything.
Well it was a 6-hour drive from Virginia to New Jersey where I'm gonna be staying at my friend's place. There were two ways to get to Jersey, either the interstate that'll go through DC or the highway that'll go through some bay bridge and some towns. I took the highway since getting around DC is a bit crazy and I didn't wanna get lost. The highway is pretty much a straight shot and it had a nice view though I was a bit nervous at the baybridge. It amazes me sometimes how they went about building bridges and tunnel though they make me nervous driving through them. It was about 30 miles of just being in the water and I sure am glad when that was done with. The drive took six hours which isn't too bad since I was just getting a feel of the road I'm gonna be taking. I got to my destination around 3 pm which isn't too bad. I didn't feel tired which was good considering that was 24 hours of no sleep so far. It was good seeing my friend again and I'm glad it just felt like we were hanging out in Japan the day before. I had to keep pinching myself though. At times, it still feels that I'm in some sort of a dream, as weird as that might be. Being in the US, driving across states, going to New York, just about everything. I often times pause and try to soak in all that is happening.

So we just chilled for a little while then got ready to go to New York City which is about an hour away by train. Josh has never gone either so we had a bit of a problem trying to get to the station. We were driving back and forth through the same streets before eventually stopping at a gas station and asking for directions. It was a bit odd though, since the exit that we took had a sign that talked about trains and rails so dunno what happened. I ended up going in to ask since I was the one who's wanting to go real bad. So did that, and the street that we happened to be on was the way to get to the train station so got real excited over that. We arrived at the station, parked and the car and I was just running up to the station to get tickets just in case the train arrives. Well it did about ten minutes later. Thing is we weren't sure that it was the right train or not. So I went up to the conductor while Josh stayed by the ticket machine which was about eight feet away. I asked him if "Is this the train that goes to the New York?" "Yes, and we're leaving." I jumped on the train and right then the door closed and it started moving.

All I could do was look through the window while Josh stood there. The conductor asked if that guy was my friend and I said Yes. I started walking and grabbed a seat just thinking I'll go to New York by myself then. Well,the conductor radioed it in apparently and he had the train stopped and my friend Josh was able to get on. Josh sat next to me while the train ran its course. Then, a minute later, while I was playing with my cell, a guy came up to us and started saying things. I didn't know what he said but when I finally looked up, he must have been the train captain, he was talking about nobody makes his train stop and how it is his train and it runs on his schedule, not the passenger's etc etc. Well he didn't want us on his train and pretty much told us we're gonna have to get off at the next stop. I just nodded since I didn't really wanna argue. I could tell him that we didn't ask for them to stop the train, but can't really win. He IS the captain. I thought about just pleading with him, tell him it's my first time but doubt he would have cared. He looked really pissed that he pretty much stayed by our seats until we got to the next station and left the train. So we did that, and come to find out the next train was't gonna come for another hour. It was alright really, if it weren't that cold! We didn't bring jackets with us so that was fun. And the wind just loved blowing that night too. I found a seat and hugged myself to try to keep warm.
I sensed that Josh just wanted to call it a night and just go back. He had a friend that lived nearby he called and they talked about him just picking us up so we can go home. I really didn't want to feel like I was making him go so I told him, 'You can have him get you if you want.' I was so intent going to New York that I would not have let anything stop me. Well to see it, and also to be able to meet a fellow blogger, Rey from My Secretive Life. I've spoken to him earlier that day and he was gonna be out and about since his band is going to be playing that night. We missed seeing them play already since their performance was at 2130 and during that time, we were sitting around Princeton Station. Maybe it was stubborness, but I wanted to able to say that I got to meet him after I go back home at least. It would have been a bit of waste, I think if we were pretty much in the same city and didn't get to meet. Kinda like with someone in LA *whistles Well New York will always be there, I know but meeting a blogger in person is like the bonus that came with the trip.

Well we finally reached Penn Station at about 2330. We tried finding a clothing store that might be open since it was real windy that night and of course, everything was closed. We didn't know where to go, so walked around the main train station trying to see what's around it. We passed by the Empire State Bldg which actually glows at night in red and green, if I remember correctly. We eventually went to McDonald's to grab a bite until we figure out where to go. I didn't have a clue what's there, but I didn't care, I'm in New York!! Lack of planning maybe, but I sorta did the same when I was in Japan. Just free-planning, hop on the train and let it take me anywhere. This time, I'm in the US and getting lost won't be much of a problem since the signs are readable this time around. Texted Rey and asked him where he was since Josh said that Rey knows what's the area at least. I felt like a bit of a bother so I didn't try calling Rey right after I texted hehe. He might have been with his friends (which he was) and I really can't expect him to look at his phone everytime to see if I texted or not. We eventually spoke with him on the phone and he had to explain his location since we were jus gonna catch a cab to get where he's at. Gah, I hope he's just not being nice lol (just kidding)

It was probably a 15-min ride or so since we had to get to the 2nd st from the 34th street. Naks, I'm talking about numbered streets and everything, and not the ones that needs to be avoided either. I was just so excited staring out the window looking around the city. I might have been a moth for all I know since I'm a sucker for bright lights. I get all giddy just being near them. So we finally made it to Urge which is in the ....ummm... *Creeps to Rey's and checks East Side is where it is. Places I only used to hear about. But I'm the luckiest guy on the lower east siide. Coz I got wheels and you wanna go for a ride.

It was good, we hang around Urge for a little bit. I got to meet some of his friends, and talked with them. I wasn't talking much now that I think about it. Booo, I don't know where. I get too excited I don't speak much I was all smiles though, just looking around. Some woman started talking to me, and introduced her three other friends, another girl and two guys but I went back and stuck around Rey and company after I grabbed some drinks. Josh said that someone was sizing me up head to toe but I just refused to look at that direction :D

After that, we went to Opaline? though it was relocated that one weekend I came there. Opaline moved, Jersey and NYC had overcast weather, it is soo working out my way. It was still fun. We drank and danced til about 3 am or so, it was great. Dancing along to pop, not hip hop dawwwg. Know what I'm sayin'!! Then we stopped by Nathan's to grab some food and called it a night. Rey was kind enough to offer us to stay at his loft since what I intended to do was to walk around the city 'til the sun comes up and train starts running Fletcher was awake so got to play with him for a while before going to bed. Fletcher's just plain adorable though I was jumpy when he tries to bite. I know he wouldn't but it still made me jump. Hehe, I was real glad though. I still can't believe I had the puppy in my arms. Kawaii!!
Well finally went to bed and didn't wake up til about noon. I was the last one to rise but it was all good. Rey's place was really nice. It overlooks a bay I think and you can sit there and stare at the buildings, and look up at the clouds.

Josh and I left Rey's around 1300 and he dropped us off at this one street so we can just hop on the gypsy bus to get back to the train station. We did just that and really didn't walk around much since it was still windy. So made it back to the dorms, and just ordered some Chinese food and saw The Exorcism of Emily Rose on DVD. Then pretty much falling in and out of sleep the whole night.

Around noon, we just grabbed lunch and then I headed out after that to go back to Virginia. It was a good little get-away and definitely will be doing it again. As much as I loved taking pictures, I didn't get to take any pictures but I will next time. Like MacArthur puts it 'I shall return.'

No comments:

Post a Comment