Wednesday, May 31, 2006

One day they're here...

Might be a bit of a downer to some, sorry...

Got a phone call around 8 am, but didn't get to pick my cell up until after the caller hang up. Waited for a voicemail, and there it was. Message from my aunt saying my grandfather just passed away this evening (morning for the U.S, night time in the Philippines) Tried calling her back but I realized they had their phone number changed just recently.

So went ahead and called my grandma's cell and my cousin picked up, saying that my Tatay (it's actually Lolo and Lola for grandparents, but I call mine Nanay and Tatay which equivalents Mom and Dad) died. I just started crying while she went yelled out for my mom since I was on the phone. We were talking and was quite surprised that she was calm, and didn't start sobbing at all. She's the drama queen of the family, well crier would more describe her, so that's quite something to listen to her tell me what happened and not cry. I felt like a child again when she told me not to cry anymore, it's his time and it was probably for the best so that he wouldn't suffer any longer. It really was a shock since the doctor said that he had about 3-6 months at least and yet, it happened not even a month later. She let a distant relative of ours talk to me for a bit, though I kinda chuckled listening to him. He KNOWS that I spoke Tagalog and has even met me in person before, but yet there he was English spokening asking if I'd go home since my Tatay's dead. I haven't actually considered going home at this point.

So hang up the phone with my mom, and texted my cousin asking her if she's heard.. "heard what?' so just went ahead and called her and explained that I got a voicemail and everything saying Tatay's dead. She said no, she didn't know yet but will go ahead and check if her mom knows. She called back saying the line was busy so my Tita Akang (in Denmark) is probably talking to her by now. So went ahead and called my other aunt, Tita Marrissa (in Norway). She picked up and just started crying when she knew that it was me calling. I was laying when I called, but sat straight up listening to her 'Couldn't he have waited until the weekend!!' "I told him we'll be there soon enough!' 'Dee, he's gone!!' Those were pretty much the words that was coming from her. She said she just got done talking to Tita Akang which was screaming, wailing seems more fitting, after learning of my grandfather's death. Being told those things are just what broke my heart. It didn't hit me completely until after this conversation. My uncle got their flight scheduled changed so they'll be flying out tomorrow instead of this Saturday.

She mentioned she hasn't spoken to my Aunt Fely (in Florida) so went ahead to do a three-way. It appeared she knows about it already since her first words were "Dee, patay na si Tatay." (Dee, Tatay's dead) I told her that my other Aunt was on the line too, so sat the phone down and let them talk for a bit. The earliest my Aunt Fely could leave was on Monday, and they won't arrive til Wednesday so that's gonna be one loooong flight. I hope they can have it changed and book an earlier one. My cousin started crying so Aunt Fely told my Tita to go ahead and tend to the kid so did just that, and they said their goodbyes to each other, and to me.

I was chatting with my friend Caleb too, and ended up telling him what happened. It was a bit odd saying this kind of things through IM's so talked to him on Skype. Had to talk to someone since I just didn't wanna bottle it in. He's a good friend, we started talking about other things so that made me smile and laught at least. I mentioned that I was supposed to go have lunch with somebody today, and not so sure if I'd still want to go. He said it might do me good, take my mind off of things even for a bit. So just didn't cancel the lunch meeting. It ended up not materializing though since the guy wanted to just grab some food and bring it by my place. I said I'd prefer meeting him outside today, but guess he didn't want that. Well, he's been over once but good thing he forgot where I live haha

So I was still skyping with Caleb, but had to get off to answer my cell since somebody was calling which was probably my aunt. And sure enough, it was my Tita Akang. She was joking, and everything since she said, she didn't want to be gloomy talking to me. She's trying, though she mentioned she about smashed her head in the kitchen table after she got the text message about this. That she dropped the phone right after and blacked out for a bit. I thought it was kinda stupid texting something of that nature to people, but it just is waayy cheaper than calling long distance.. from the Philippines at least, to the rest of the world. I really thought that was funny, picturing her smashing her head. That made me laugh since that's just what she was trying to do. She's gonna be flying out either this weekend also, or come Monday to go back home as well. She asked if I'd be going too but told her I'm not quite sure yet. I might have to check with the chain of command if I could go without doing all the paperwork that comes along with it. Normally, for servicemembers to go, you have to submit all this documents that has your information. Who you'll be going with, where you're gonnabe staying, the reason of the visit, the current terrorist threat level, amongst other things. The plane ticket cost too.. It's a little bit over a month's salary grrreat. Everybody's been saying they'd understand if me and my cousin end up not going (She's in the Air Force at the moment too) but I know they'd prefer otherwise. It'll be a bit of a reunion as well, since some haven't seen each other since 1997. This will be the first time all the siblings will get together so that'll be really nice, despite of it being an unfortunate time. Seems some of them are handling it well, saying it was probably for the best. I thought heh, they're grown, they'd manage without me having to come. Now, I wouldn't want more than anything but to just be there for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment