Saturday, September 2, 2006

Under the Water

It was a start of the long weekend for the rest of the people that work here on base. Whenever a holiday falls on a Monday, this is usually what happens. We get a family day to kick things off early. It doesn't really apply to us since we have to have people at the helpdesk 24/7. Actually, I've been working a different schedule since the beginning of August. I gave up my weekends so I can have three days off. I work Fridays to Mondays, having to do 12-hr shifts on Sat and Sunday. It's been good.

I was expecting it to be an uneventful shift yesterday because of the down day but that wasn't so. There was a storm that hit VA early yesterday so we had to deal with power outages, buildings losing connectivity. It was pretty much raining nonstop the whole day, and around noon, the fire alarm went off for reasons we do not know. Of course, we had to evacuate and go across the street to the parking lot. When it rains, it pours and when it pours, it floods. It was about a foot high but which we had to go through to get to the other side. I had an umbrella which really didn't do much good, cause of the strong wind so kinda got soaked before getting to sit at my coworker's truck. The firemen came and did the sweeps and we got to go back in after about 20 mins. Took my boots and my socks off and was walking around the office barefoot. I'm not really supposed to since that's considered out of uniform but did it anyways. It just felt really gross, with it squeeshing everytime I walked. I wear a different kind of boots, where instead of it being leather combat boots, I have a pair made of canvas.

The rest of the shift, we watched more episodes of 24. I've been getting into 24 more and more after watching some of it on DVD here at work which we pretty much do on the weekends. My coworker finds it funny when I yell at the tv, as if the characters could hear me. Him and I ended up staying about an hour and a half than we were supposed to. The guy who was working the mid-shift didn't realize he had to come in at 1845, instead of 2345 which was his usual time to go to work.

Finally got to go home, had my dinner and watched more episodes of Seinfeld. The boxed sets were on sale for $20 each and ended up grabbing three seasons so got some dvd watching sessions to go. 'tis a really funny show though the laugh track can be annoying from time to time. I got used to not hearing any after watching the gem Arrested Development the past two years. Had to pause the dvd though to prepare my meal for the next few days. I TRY to get to bed around 10 but that us yet to happen. I've been sleeping about 4-5 hours during work days and just can't sleep early enough to get my required hours of rest.

That was how my day was. How was your Fridee?

No comments:

Post a Comment